Tuesday 27 March 2012

Healthy Meatless Dinner Recipes

I've started cooking with dried beans, quinoa, soy products & brown rice.  I love it because I can be as creative as I want and in the process turn out beautiful, hearty, healthy & yummy rmeals.
Here are two of my recent favourites. 
 

Chickpea Curry

Soak chickpeas in water overnight. or 12-16 hours.  Rinse then cover peas with cold water & a dash of salt. Cook for 2 hours

  • 1T olive oil
  • 1/2 small onion chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 inch ginger, grated
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp coriander
  • 1/2 tsp tumeric
  • 1.5 c cooked chickbeans
  • 1c bean cooking liquid
  • 1 c snow peas or edame peas
  • 1 c shredded cabbage
  • 1c chopped canned or fresh tomatoes
  • 1/2tsp garam masala
  • 1c cooked quinoa
  1. Saute onion, garlic, cabbage and ginger in oil till softened & browned. 
  2. Add spices, tomatoes, chickpeas & liquid from chickpeas. 
  3. Add peppers & sown peas, cook till softened.  Stir in the quinoa.
  4. Heat through.  Serves two.  Add extra veggies, etc to feed more folks.


Tofu Veggie Stirfry



     

  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1/2 small onion chopped
  • 2-3 garlic cloves crushed & chopped
  • 150 g medium tofu, cut in pieces
  • 1 slice ginger chopped or grated
  • 1/8 c soy sauce or to taste
  • hot sause to your taste
  • 2 fresh or 1 c canned tomatoes
  • 1/2 medium zuchinni, sliced on the angle
  • 1/2 bell pepper chopped or sliced
  • 1 c shredded cabbage
  • 1 c cooked quinoa or brown rice
 Saute onion, garlic,ginger & tofu in oil till browned - approx. 5 minutes.
Add veggies stir & steam till desired softness.  Season with soy sauce.  Add hot sauce or jaleppeno pepper as desired.
Sir in qooked quinoa or rice.   Serves 2.

Well I hope you like eating healthy as much as I do.   Sometimes instead of tofu I'll brown chopped chicken breast with the onions, etc......hmmm.   I'm not a vegetarian, but I do feel better since I've started eating meatless meals 3 or 4 times a week.  I've also noticed I have less craving for sweets ( my weekness) and I'm losing weight without even trying - especially in the stomach area!!   What's not to love?!


Crocheting

Work on the black afghan for my daughter is progressing.  She didn't want anything holey so I'm using stable stitches that produce a thick fabric.  I've always wanted to do a highly textured blanket.
Pics to come.



No comments:

Post a Comment