Sunday 6 November 2011

How To Make A Web Belt

I've been needing a new belt for a while, so this morning while getting dressed I decided to whip one up.  I bought the webbing and fixings at my local fabric store.  This belt costs less than $5 to make and takes about 1/2 hour to build.

Supplies Needed

- web belting (your hip circumference plus 8-10 inches)
- two 'D' rings - mine are plastic but you can get metal ones too
- Fray Check (optional)

 Rings placed on webbing round sides up. My webbing is 1.5 inches wide as are the 'D' rings.
 Either turn over the end a bit or Fray check the ends.  If you using nylon, melt the ends with a lighter.
To avoid breaking the needle, make sure you use a size 14 or 16 .  All I had was leather needles, they worked fine.
 Fold end over about 1.5 to 2 inches.  Stitch close to folded under end.  Reinforce stitching.  Add another row of stitching if desired.
 Here is my first fitting...hehe.  I folded the free end over about 4 inches and sewed it down - make sure you fold it the opposite way than the business end.
That way you don't have to worry about the end fraying.
I hope these pics clarify what I said above.  You can see how the folded over free end looks as it's being put through the "D' rings.

    


Here's the finished product. I love it!  And it's so quick and easy.  You could make one in every colour.  This is my first tutorial.  Hope you like it.  Please let me know if you have any questions.  Thanks alot!

No comments:

Post a Comment