Sunday 6 November 2011

Upcyled Hanger Covers


These are super quick & easy to make.  You can make them out of practically any fabric.  And they can be a embellished as much or as little as you like. 

They'd make great Christmas gifts.

  Cute eh!?  And a very practical method to stop your dresses and tops from sliding off their hangers and ending up on the closet floor!!


First, trace around the hanger you'll be using.  Add 1/2 "seam allowance around top edge of hanger.  Add an inch to the bottom for hem allowance. Mark the neck opening and add a 1/2" to it as well.
 I used an old top my daughter no longer wears.  I love white eyelet.
I cut it apart and used the eyelet for one cover and the lining for another. Lay your pattern on the double layer, right sides together.  Turn down the neck edge 1/2" and stitch,  or just fold it down and iron.  Sew the top edges using a 1/4" seam allowance.  Be sure to leave the bottom edge un-stitched!

I incorporated the finished lace edge as the bottom of one cover and added some lace to the bottom of the plain one.  Sorry - I didn't take any pics of the sewing process.  Please let me know if you have any questions.


  These can be used as dust covers to keep the shoulders of clothing clean during storage.  I'd add another 1/2" to 1" to the seams allowances though.

 I need at least 20 more!!!

1 comment: